Liberal Democrats have ensured the Coalition has been the greenest Government so far in Britain. Lib Dem ministers have:
- Secured £37bn investment in renewable electricity
- Established the world’s first Green Investment Bank
- Led Europe to agree a new more ambitious EU-wide climate change target
- Ensured more than 1 million trees have been planted.
On the front page of the Liberal Democrat Manifesto we have said that in the next Parliament, if we are in Government, we will pass Five Green Laws. These will:
- stimulate more green growth
- improve greener transport options
- create more energy efficient homes
- improve our air quality
- reduce household waste
- create a zero-carbon Britain within a generation.
We have a proud record of delivery in government, from nearly tripling electricity from renewables to making more than a million homes warmer and cheaper to heat, and securing an ambitious EU-wide agreement on tackling climate change.
This has been done in the face of almost daily battles with the Tories on everything from onshore wind to keeping climate change in the geography curriculum.
The Liberal Democrat plan for five new Green Laws on the front of our manifesto shows our intent to go further and faster if we’re in the next Government. Lib Dems in the next government will insure our environment against the risk of sharp lurches to the left or right that would result in our green delivery coming to a grinding halt.
Our Five Green Laws:
- a Zero Carbon Bill to end Britain’s adverse impact on climate change by 2050
- a Zero Waste Bill to tackle rubbish tipping and disposal
- a Green Homes Bill to insulate 10 million homes by 2025
- a Nature Bill to give stronger protection to natural habitats
- a Green Transport Bill to make the way we travel cleaner and greener.